Looking for a new idle game to play? Exponential Idle by Conic Games is a minimalist, maths-inspired idle game in which you upgrade and improve a mathematical formula as a way of grinding cash. While the game may seem quite basic at first, don’t be fooled by this appearance. The game has a bit of a story line too it in which you start out as an undergrad student working on this formula. The more you progress the formula, the more you progress through your phases of education – adding variables or expanding on the function every so often.
There are two primary things to spend money on – upgrades and variables – both of which accelerate the rate at which you acquire cash. Quite shortly after you are introduced to the prestige mechanic, which allows you to collect a new currency (μ), however soon you will find out there’s an even bigger type of prestige where you can even reset your μ currency for even more substantial upgrades. Throughout your gameplay you will earn stars – these are the truly persistent currency and upgrades that you want to invest in, but stars are hard to come by in the early game. Stars can be earned through tapping, automatically over time, through mini games or through the achievements. Looking at the list of achievements will give you a good sense for how deep and far this game can go.
This slick game will keep you coming back for quite a while. Overall the game offers a surprising amount of depth and new things to discover and add to your formula. There’s puzzles for active play or just the main game for passive (check your phone once in a while) type play. The depth on the objectives and new additions will keep you coming back for quite a while. There are no ads, unless you want to watch them to boost your earnings – for £1.39 you can purchase the ad free version, where you will get a permanent boost to your dt that you would normally get from the ads. The loose story and the quantity of achievements will keep you coming back regularly as you try to break through to the next phases of the game. I would recommend it as a great game for short sessions a couple of times a day when you’re trying to kill a few minutes or just to check up on progress.
- In the early stages prestige as often/as early as you can
- Prioritise buying the auto-buyers
- Have a look at some of the formulas suggested in the Reddit/wiki for the auto-prestige and auto-supremacy
- The Puzzles can be quite hard (if you don’t know the algorithms by which to solve them) and will require active play in order to farm stars
- Wiki: https://exponential-idle.fandom.com/wiki/Exponential_Idle_Wiki
- Developer site/github: https://conicgames.github.io/exponentialidle/
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ExponentialIdle/
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conicgames.exponentialidle&hl=en_GB&gl=US
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/exponential-idle/id1538487382